Little Green Footballs is one of the most popular right-wing blogs in the USA (currently number 17 on The Truth Laid Bear ecosystem). Which is why it’s interesting that their founder, Charles Johnson, has recently blogged about why he parted ways with the right:
1. Support for fascists, both in America (see: Pat Buchanan, Robert Stacy McCain, etc.) and in Europe (see: Vlaams Belang, BNP, SIOE, Pat Buchanan, etc.)
2. Support for bigotry, hatred, and white supremacism (see: Pat Buchanan, Ann Coulter, Robert Stacy McCain, Lew Rockwell, etc.)
3. Support for throwing women back into the Dark Ages, and general religious fanaticism (see: Operation Rescue, anti-abortion groups, James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Tony Perkins, the entire religious right, etc.)
4. Support for anti-science bad craziness (see: creationism, climate change denialism, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, James Inhofe, etc.)
5. Support for homophobic bigotry (see: Sarah Palin, Dobson, the entire religious right, etc.)
6. Support for anti-government lunacy (see: tea parties, militias, Fox News, Glenn Beck, etc.)
7. Support for conspiracy theories and hate speech (see: Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Birthers, creationists, climate deniers, etc.)
8. A right-wing blogosphere that is almost universally dominated by raging hate speech (see: Hot Air, Free Republic, Ace of Spades, etc.)
9. Anti-Islamic bigotry that goes far beyond simply criticizing radical Islam, into support for fascism, violence, and genocide (see: Pamela Geller, Robert Spencer, etc.)
10. Hatred for President Obama that goes far beyond simply criticizing his policies, into racism, hate speech, and bizarre conspiracy theories (see: witch doctor pictures, tea parties, Birthers, Michelle Malkin, Fox News, World Net Daily, Newsmax, and every other right wing source)
And much, much more. The American right wing has gone off the rails, into the bushes, and off the cliff.
Incidently, must of this criticism of right-wingers also applies to the Islamists they claim to dislike .That is: 2 (change “white supremacism” to “Islamic supremacism”), 3, 4, 5, 7. So although the extremist Western right-wingers and the extremist Islamists hate each other, they both have essentially the same mindset and underlying psychology,
The problem here is that the sensible Republicans can’t split to form their own party, because the electoral system in the USA enforces a rigid two party system. Another reason why FPTP is bad.
This affects Britain because, like it or not, the USA is the leader of the West, being the biggest Western country with the largest population, economy, and armed forces.
If the Republican Party is dominated by nutters, and they stand a reasonable chance of winning future elections, it would then be very problematic for the West. Which is why we need a strong European Union to be a potential counterweight to the USA, and to carry the torch of liberal, secular, democratic values.
Yes the EU is wasteful (common agricultural policy), corrupt (accounts not audited for years) and has a democratic deficit (no-one elected Rompuy and Ashton), but if it didn’t exist it would have to be invented. The EU is in obvious need to serious reform.
(via Liberal Conspiracy)