Visionaries see a future of telecommuting workers, interactive libraries and multimedia classrooms. They speak of electronic town meetings and virtual communities. Commerce and business will shift from offices and malls to networks and modems. And the freedom of digital networks will make government more democratic.
Baloney. Do our computer pundits lack all common sense? The truth in no online database will replace your daily newspaper, no CD-ROM can take the place of a competent teacher and no computer network will change the way government works.
We’re promised instant catalog shopping–just point and click for great deals. We’ll order airline tickets over the network, make restaurant reservations and negotiate sales contracts. Stores will become obselete. So how come my local mall does more business in an afternoon than the entire Internet handles in a month? Even if there were a trustworthy way to send money over the Internet–which there isn’t–the network is missing a most essential ingredient of capitalism: salespeople.
- RT @KevinSimler: A surprisingly great read: "The Dictator's Handbook" by Bruce Bueno de Mesquita and Alastair Smith. 282 pages, published i… 1 day ago
- RT @Renew_Britain: RENEW is a new party with a plan to create more opportunity for all and heal our divisions so we can embrace the future… 1 day ago
- RT @sapinker: I collect ambiguous headlines. This one, on our President's health, is among the best. https://t.co/G6YTMc9hNM 4 days ago
- RT @mbainesy: I want to retain my EU citizenship too. RT if you do too. https://t.co/3dGQk3NCdO 2 weeks ago
- RT @soapyfrogs: Hearing that, following their #bluepassport triumph, the UK Government will be announcing the return of more iconic British… 2 weeks ago
- Dan Hannon’s Delusional 2016 Article on Brexit
- Pirates come third in Czech election
- Catalonia will become independent
- Internet rage caused by inability to understand probability
- Can the USA survive tribalism?
- How many female MPs and MSPs should there be?
- Explanation of workfare
- 6-8 inches of snow?
- Contra Munroe on Free Speech
- Ha! Anal!