I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- Your Country Has Been Encrypted cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/you… https://t.co/n1WDBKHdIU 2 days ago
- Senator Sanders Demonstrates The Right Way To Criticize Trump cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/02/02/sen… 3 months ago
- Should the US West Coast Join Canada? cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/sho… https://t.co/VFCRxeVIQG 3 months ago
- Don’t Call Me That In Public Yet cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/don… https://t.co/sqJR585ZWr 3 months ago
- Will Trumpcare trump Obamacare? cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/wil… 3 months ago
- Your Country Has Been Encrypted
- Senator Sanders Demonstrates The Right Way To Criticize Trump
- Should the US West Coast Join Canada?
- Don’t Call Me That In Public Yet
- Will Trumpcare trump Obamacare?
- Infographics and Hitler
- The Story of a Great Writer
- Finnish Cartoon about Brexit
- Trade Negotiations
- May’s Brilliant Brexit Plan Revealed