I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- RT @colinrtalbot: So, instead of the sunlit uplands of Brexit we’re now down to this…. https://t.co/jiqCybT7kR 20 hours ago
- RT @Ayaan: This revolting and barbaric practice must stop. abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto… 20 hours ago
- See also Brexiters telling us that Brexit won't be as bad as Mad Max. I don't find that particularly reassuring. it… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- RT @terrychristian: RT if you think in a years time you won't meet anyone who'll admit to voting to leave the EU , it'll be like trying to… 1 day ago
- RT @remain_central: Time to join in with the #FBPEparty🥂 Retweet and follow back #FBPE people. #FBPE is a non-party political movement of… 1 day ago
- Perth March Against Brexit
- Brexit: Scrap the aerospace industry, go back to fruit picking
- Public increasingly thinks Brexit was a mistake
- Toilet for women, men, wheelchair users and Daleks
- May’s Brexit Trilemma
- I think the cat’s been found
- Don’t send England football team to Russia, hold alternative tournament instead
- Twitter gets message order wrong
- Brexit “won’t be like Mad Max”