I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- RT @ESYudkowsky: If there are any economists out there who aren't already nervous and confused about the Great Filter / Fermi Paradox, let… 17 hours ago
- It's really rather pathetic to put up a poll and then threaten to take it down because people don't vote the way yo… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Either that or Putin will. Or maybe it will be Putin. Maybe I should have got my cat to predict the winner, like he… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- 44% of Germans are idiots. twitter.com/marceldirsus/s… 2 days ago
- RT @IGD_News: Kurdish forces in the #YPG and #YPJ helped defeat #ISIS, only to be attacked by Turkey. Now, thousands in #Afrin are threaten… 2 days ago
- Twitter gets message order wrong
- Brexit “won’t be like Mad Max”
- Unelected Elites
- Why Star Wars is Crap
- Coase, Carillion, and the Perils of Outsourcing
- Royal Mail Announces Commemorative Brexit Stamps!
- Dan Hannon’s Delusional 2016 Article on Brexit
- Pirates come third in Czech election
- Catalonia will become independent
- Internet rage caused by inability to understand probability