I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- General Election Prediction cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/09/19/gen… 6 days ago
- Government treats religion as just ‘fairies, goblins and imaginary friends’ cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/09/17/gov… 1 week ago
- Thoughts on Health Care cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/09/04/tho… https://t.co/3FINX6DeYy 3 weeks ago
- Mother Theresa Was No Saint cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/09/03/mot… 3 weeks ago
- Twas Brexit and the Slimey Goves cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/twa… 2 months ago
- General Election Prediction
- Government treats religion as just ‘fairies, goblins and imaginary friends’
- Thoughts on Health Care
- Mother Theresa Was No Saint
- Twas Brexit and the Slimey Goves
- Brexit and Scotland
- 2 out of 3 potholes fixed
- Trump and Clinton are both unpopular; Sanders should run, as an independent if necessary
- Edinburgh Potholes Come In Threes
- Why I am leaving Pirate Party UK and joining the Scottish Green Party