I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- Ha! Anal! cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/07/04/ha-… https://t.co/ClshuHsUiD 3 weeks ago
- RT @ProgrammerJoke2: https://t.co/qHOeq8KjCT 3 weeks ago
- Effective vs. Harmful Anti-war Activism cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/eff… 1 month ago
- The Young Vote cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/06/09/the… 1 month ago
- BBC exit poll: Con 314 cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/bbc… 1 month ago
- Ha! Anal!
- Effective vs. Harmful Anti-war Activism
- The Young Vote
- BBC exit poll: Con 314
- UK General Election Prediction: Con maj 40 seats
- Your Country Has Been Encrypted
- Senator Sanders Demonstrates The Right Way To Criticize Trump
- Should the US West Coast Join Canada?
- Don’t Call Me That In Public Yet
- Will Trumpcare trump Obamacare?