I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- Maths Teacher cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/11/23/mat… https://t.co/NnYWYNGT2x 2 weeks ago
- Donald Trump Will Win the Election* youtube.com/watch?feature=… cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/11/07/don… 1 month ago
- Shoulda Voted cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/sho… https://t.co/AZlKHNKech 1 month ago
- Merit Beliefs versus Crony Beliefs cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/11/05/mer… 1 month ago
- Pirates come 3rd in Iceland Election cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/10/30/pir… https://t.co/ZO9KzhkegI 1 month ago