I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- RT @sapinker: I collect ambiguous headlines. This one, on our President's health, is among the best. https://t.co/G6YTMc9hNM 3 days ago
- RT @mbainesy: I want to retain my EU citizenship too. RT if you do too. https://t.co/3dGQk3NCdO 1 week ago
- RT @soapyfrogs: Hearing that, following their #bluepassport triumph, the UK Government will be announcing the return of more iconic British… 1 week ago
- RT @Tonygoode: Imagine what a defeat for May it would be if millions of us elect to retain EU citizenship. We need to hurry so RT the hell… 1 week ago
- RT @Femi_Sorry: Finding out that Theresa May is appointing a minister specifically for "No Deal" is a bit like getting on a plane and your… 1 week ago
- Dan Hannon’s Delusional 2016 Article on Brexit
- Pirates come third in Czech election
- Catalonia will become independent
- Internet rage caused by inability to understand probability
- Can the USA survive tribalism?
- How many female MPs and MSPs should there be?
- Explanation of workfare
- 6-8 inches of snow?
- Contra Munroe on Free Speech
- Ha! Anal!