I like this post over at CentreRight. I like it because it’s a classic of its kind. I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, is invokes a polymorphous, all-purpose sneering ‘intelligentsia’.I like the way, like articles on anti-Americanism, it makes the howling error of mistaking anti-Englishism for anti-the terrible-things-some-English-people-do.
I like the way if leaps from the disapproval of the whingeing of a prince fed up of being photographed in nightclubs, to an assault on ‘multiculturalism’. I like the way it feeds the stereotype of the poor, put-upon, white, and middle class little Englander.
But most of all, I like the way the author, when decrying the decrying of England and English values by the ‘intelligentsia’, uses the French phrase soi-disant when he could have just used self-styled or so-called. (And this in an article invoking Orwell who was scathing of what he called ‘pretentious diction’.)
How very multicultural and unEnglish.
- Trade Negotiations cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/01/21/tra… https://t.co/41nM2ceS33 6 hours ago
- May’s Brilliant Brexit Plan Revealed cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/may… https://t.co/IPkM2ZPWSp 1 day ago
- Idiocracy is true,@apparently cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/idi… 3 days ago
- Europe in Crisis cabalamat.wordpress.com/2017/01/04/eur… 2 weeks ago
- Eric Raymond on the Democratic Party cabalamat.wordpress.com/2016/12/16/eri… 1 month ago